The Prairie Settler's Song - Canadian Traditional/Folk Song Midi and Lyrics

The Prairie Settler's Song
Canadian Traditional/Folk Song
Lyrics

Music by Charles F. Davies 1882

The summer day is o'er
And I wander by the shore
Of the swift-flowing broad Saskatchewan
The rose clad prairies blaze
In the sunset's dazzling rays
But my heart is ever weary and lone.

    The snow capp'd mountains rise
    Till they blend with evening skies
    And the rapids chant their neverending song.
    'Mong scenes so fair to view
    I can only think of you
    And ever for your presence sadly long.

Then come, Darling, come
To my lone prairie home
Wilt thou promise to be my lov'd Bride?
To share the settler's lot
In his humble, rough hewn cot
By Saskatchewan's swift flowing tide.
Thoul't leave the city gay
With its glitter and display
Where fortune's smile so oft proves false and vain
To dwell afar with me
Midst the prairies wild and free
In the garden of nature's vast domain.

    Thou'lt own no jewels rare
    No bright gems to bind thy hair
    As beauty such as thine would well beseem.
    A love that's fond and true
    Is the gift I offer you
    And the homage of my heart, my fair queen.

Then come, Darling, come
To my lone prairie home
Wilt thou promise to be my lov'd Bride?
Thy voice like fairy chimes
Will sing songs of other times
Ere we dwelt by Saskatchewan's tide.

And hope points to the day
When rich harvests will repay
The settler for his toil and all his care.
Beneath clear Western skies
Then a mansion will arise
Fit for mistress so gentle and fair.

    And I'll twine sweet wild flow'rs
    To bloom round thy garden bow'rs
    Till thy home is bright as youth's brightest dream
    The sweetest flow'r of all
    Is a lily, fair and tall
    That may yet bloom by the wild rushing stream.

Then come, Darling, come
To my lone prairie home
Only say thou wilt be my lov'd Bride.
Our lives will glide away
Like the tranquil summer day
That now fades o'er Saskatchewan's tide.

The Prairie Settler's Song - Canadian Traditional/Folk Song Free Midi Download
Midi files sequenced by Barry Taylor

Comments