Peter Emberley - Canadian Traditional/Folk Song Midi and Lyrics

Peter Emberley
Canadian Traditional/Folk Song
Lyrics

My name is Peter Emberley
As you may understand
I was born on Prince Edward Island
Close by the ocean strand
In eighteen hundred and eighty
When the flowers wore a brilliant hue
I left my native coun-ter-ee
My fortune to pursue.

I landed in New Brunswick
That lumbering coun-ter-ee
I hired to work in the lumbering woods
Down south of Miramichi
I hired to work in the lumbering woods
To cut the tall spruce down
While loading teams with yarded logs
I received my deathly wound.

There's danger on the ocean
Where the waves roll mountains high
There's danger on the battlefield
Where angry bullets fly
There's danger in the lumber woods
For death lurks silent there
And I have fallen a victim
Unto its monstrous snare.

Here's adieu unto my father
It was him who sent me here
It was him who drove me here to die
By his treatment too severe
It is not right to press a boy
Or try to keep him down
For it will make him leave his home
When he is far too young.

Here's adieu unto my dearest friend
I mean my mother dear
She reared a son that fell as soon
As he left her tender care
But little did my mother think
When she sang my lullaby
What country I would travel in
Or what death I would die.

Here's adieu to Prince Edward Island
And the Island girls so true
Long may they live to roam the shore
Where my first breath I drew
No more I'll see those lofty ships
As they go sailing by
With banners floating in the breeze
Above their canvas high.

I know my luck seems very hard
Since fate has proved severe
But victory death is worst to come
I have no more to fear
And He will allay those deadly pains
And liberate me soon
And I will sleep that long long sleep
Called slumbering in the tomb.

There's a life beyond a tombstone
That I am hastening on
Where life is more than mortal
And death can never come
For death of life now dims my eyes
I can no longer hear
My spirit wings will natural fly
As I am leaving here.

And when I'm dead and buried
There's one thing that I crave
To have a Holy Father
To bless my lonely grave.
Take me down to Boiestown
My mouldering bones to lay
A-waiting for my Saviour's call
On that great judgement day.

Peter Emberley - Canadian Traditional/Folk Song Free Midi Download
Midi files sequenced by Barry Taylor

Comments