Bonnie Woodgreen - Irish Traditional/Folk Song Midi and Lyrics

Bonnie Woodgreen
Lyrics
Down by the green bushes of Bonnie Woodgreen
Where me and my true love so oftimes have been
As the days they rolled onward so happy were we
Ah, but never she thought that a soldier I'd be.
It was early one morning as the lambs they did play
'Twas off to Kells Barracks, I there made my way
To enlist in the army and fight for my King
And I bid my farewell to Bonnie Woodgreen.

Our ship at Larne Harbour sat ready to sail
And mothers were weeping and sisters looked pale
There was singing and dancing all happy and gay
Ah, but little they thought of the lads far away.

It was 'way out in Flanders at the back of the line
They were talking of sweethearts they all left behind
When one Irish soldier says, "I have a queen,
And she works in John Ross' of Bonnie Woodgreen."

It was early one morning while facing the foe
A shot from the enemy this young lad laid low
He called for his comrades, it was a sad scene
"Say good-bye to my Nellie and Bonnie Woodgreen."

So if ever to Ulster you chance for to stray
There's a neat little fact'ry near Ballynafeigh(?)
Where there's weavers and winders all rosy and clean
And they all wear white aprons in Bonnie Woodgreen.

Bonnie Woodgreen - Irish Traditional/Folk Song Midi Download
Midi files sequenced by Barry Taylor

Comments