The Banks of the Pembina - Canadian Traditional/Folk Song Midi and Lyrics

The Banks of the Pembina
Canadian Traditional/Folk Song
Lyrics

(Tune: The Star of County Down)

I took a stroll one evening in the latter part of June
The stars shone brightly in the sky, and brightly shone the moon
I took a stroll from Cambridge, boys, to view the scenery round
'Twas there I spied an Indian maid, she was sitting on the ground.

Oh, boldly I walked up to her; she did not seem afraid
Oh, boldly I walked up to her, and to her this I said
"It does surprise me very much, although you are a squaw
To see you sitting here alone on the banks of the Pembina."

I scarcely gave one look at her when tears began to fall
She said, "Young man, draw nigh to me, and I will tell you all.
My sisters and my brothers died, likewise my pa and ma.
I'm left an orphan here alone on the banks of the Pembina."

"And that's not all, kind sir," she cried. "A true love once was mine.
He was a brave young scout upon the British boundary line.
He courted me, he flattered me, he said I'd be his squaw
But now he's gone and left me here on the banks of the Pembina."

Said I, "My pretty Indian maid, if you'll come along with me
I'll take you to a happy home in the paleface count-er-ie
I'll dress you up in costly robes, the likes you never saw
And no more need you wander on the banks of the Pembina."

"Oh, no, kind sir," she said to me. "With you I cannot go.
I made a vow I'd live and die with the red deer and the doe.
Although that paleface broke his oath and I am but a squaw
I made a vow I'd live and die on the banks of the Pembina."

The Banks of the Pembina - Canadian Traditional/Folk Song Free Midi Download
Midi sequence from The Great Canadian Tunebook

Comments