Traditional Folk Music - OH, SUSANNA Sheet Music and MIDI

OH, SUSANNA
Traditional
Traditional Folk Music - OH, SUSANNA Sheet Music

OH, SUSANNA
(Stephen Foster)
Lyrics

I come from Alabama with my banjo on my knee
I'm going to Louisiana, my true love for to see
It rained all night the day I left
The weather it was dry
The sun so hot, I froze to death
Susanna, don't you cry

Oh, Susanna, oh don't you cry for me
For I come from Alabama with my banjo on my knee

I had a dream the other night when everything was still
I thought I saw Susanna a-coming down the hill
The buckwheat cake was in her mouth
The tear was in her eye
Says I, I'm coming from the south
Susanna, don't you cry

I jumped aboard de telegraph and trabbled down de [ribber,]*
De 'lectric fluid magnified [and killed five hundred nigger.]*
De bull-gine bust, de horse run off, I really thought I'd die
I shut my eyes to hold my breath,
Susanna, don't you cry.

I soon will be in New Orleans, and then I'll look around
And when I find Susanna I will fall upon de ground
And if I do not find her, [dis darkie'll surely die]**
And when I'm dead and buried, Susanna don't you cry.

For political correctness, DAD suggests:
* [wire], *[killed hundreds in de fire.]
**[I know I'll surely die]

@American @minstrel @music
filename[ OSUSANNA
TUNE FILE: OSUSANNA
CLICK TO PLAY MIDI

Thanks to Mudcat for the Digital Tradition!

Comments