A REFRAIN OF THE RED RIVER PLANTATION

Harper's creek and roarin' ribber
Thar, my dear, we'll live forebber;
Den we'll go to the Ingin nation,
All I want in dis creation,
Is pretty little wife and big plantation.

CHO: Up dat oak and down dat ribber,
Two overseers and one little nigger.

Who's been here since I've been gone?
Pretty little gal wid a josey on.
Hog Eye!
Old Hog Eye!
And Hosey too!
Never see de like since I was born,
Here come a little gal wid a josey on.
Hog Eye!
Old Hog Eye!
And Hosey too!

Ebo Dick and Jurdan's Jo,
Them two niggers stole my yo'.

CHO: Hop Jim along,
Walk Jim along,
Talk Jim along, &c.
Old black Dan, as black as tar,
He dam glad he was not dar.
Hop Jim along, &c.

From a 1853 slave narrative, "Twelve Years a Slave" by Solomon Northup.
Yo' = ewe? Josey = jersey?
@American @slave
filename[ REDRIVPL
TUNE FILE: REDRIVPL
CLICK TO PLAY MIDI

Thanks to Mudcat for the Digital Tradition!

Comments