The Banks of Newfoundland - Canadian Traditional/Folk Song Midi and Lyrics


The Banks of Newfoundland
Canadian Traditional/Folk Song
Lyrics

Ye rambling boys of Erin, ye rambling boys beware
When you go on board of a merchant ship, blue dungaree jumpers wear
But have your monkey jackets, boys, keep them at your command
And beware of the cold nor'westers on the banks of Newfoundland.

We had on board two Irish lads, Mike Murphy and Pat Moore
In the year of eighteen forty-four those sailors suffered sore
They pawned their clothes in Liverpool and sold their notes of hand
Not thinking of the cold nor-westers on the banks of Newfoundland.

We had on board an Irish girl, Cassie Higgins was her name
To her I'd promised marriage, on me she had a claim
She tore her flannel petticoat to make mittens for my hands
Before she'd see her true love freeze on the banks of Newfoundland.

I had a dream the other night, I dreamt that I was home
I dreamt that me and my true love were in old Marylebone
That we were on old England's shore with a jug of ale in hand
But when I woke my heart was broke on the banks of Newfoundland.

It's now we're passing the Virgin Rocks and stormy winds do blow
With a crowd of sailors on the the deck a-shoveling off the snow
We'll wash her down, we'll scrub her decks with holystone and sand
And bid adieu to the Virgin Rocks on the banks of Newfoundland.

It's now we're passing Sandy Hook and the cold winds they still blow
With a tug-boat right ahead of us to New York we will go
We'll fill our glasses brimming full with a jug of rum in hand
For while we're here we can't be there on the banks of Newfoundland.

The Banks of Newfoundland - Canadian Traditional/Folk Song Free Midi Download
Midi sequence from The Great Canadian Tunebook

Comments